Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Asparagus with Low-fat Homemade Pesto

Snacks are a fast and easy way to go survive when there is no time for a lunch break or a sophisticated meal. But most of the snacks you find at delis and cafeterias are carbs and usually contain dairy products.

I have an absolute love for dips, bread sticks, french fries and everything else you can eat fast, with your hands or things that come in little pieces. This is when I discovered how fun asparagus can be and how fast and easy to is to prepare them.

In New York, especially in the end of winter/ beginning of spring, they are relatively cheap, as well as basil (which I used to make my pesto dip).

This is a fast recipe that satisfies my cravings and than be carried carried to school or served as an appetizer at a friend's reunion.


Ingredients:

- 1 bunch of asparagus
- Dijon Mustard (Any one you like)
- Homemade pesto


Recipe for the homemade pesto:
-1 cup of basil
-2 cups of spinach
-5 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
-1/2 a lemon or lime
-salt
-garlic (I use 1 spoon of organic crushed garlic)

Chop the basil and spinach and add to a blender with all the other ingredients. If you want a less acid pesto add less lemon. Blend until smooth using the pulsing mode and from time to time mixing with a spoon.
Store in a previously cleaned mason glass jar and use for pastas and dips.

Preparation:
Add the asparagus to a boiling water pan an leave them there for less than 3 minutes (so they are almost raw but with a vivid green color). Place them on a big plate and add two compartments with Dijon Mustard and Pesto in the middle.

It is ready to be served! Can be eaten cold or warm. :]



1 comment:

  1. Dodiiiii !!!! I´m so proud of you !! This does really look amazing !! I´ll try it as soon as possible .. I´m in love with your blog !! Who knows ? Maybe I´ll become vegan .. Love you & Miss you .. Aggie

    ReplyDelete